Are Recruiters Ready for IR35 Reform?

Fresh concerns raised about recruiters’ readiness for IR35 reform

Are Recruiters Ready for IR35 Reform? Well with little over six months to go until IR35 reform is extended to the private sector, contractors impacted by the pending changes have issued a vote of no confidence in recruitment agencies, with only 7% telling us they are confident agencies will be ready to contribute to accurate status decisions when the time comes. 

From next April, medium and large private sector companies will set the IR35 status of the contractors they engage, with fee-paying recruitment agencies set to carry the IR35 liability. Similar changes were enforced in the public sector two years ago and, in many cases, led to public sector bodies making risk-averse and incorrect IR35 decisions. 

It is perhaps the public sector experience that has contributed to contractors’ lack of confidence that incoming changes can be managed. Certainly, independent workers made their feelings clear in our recent survey, which was carried out in collaboration with Contractor Weekly

Our research indicates that nearly 8 in 10 (79%) of more than 1,200 freelancers said they are not at all confident or not very confident that agencies will be ready come 6th April 2020. The remaining 14% of contractors were undecided. 

Lack of faith in agencies becomes increasingly apparent

Additionally, our study showed that independent professionals are of the view that they will have a better chance of having their IR35 status reviewed accurately without an agency’s involvement.

Of the limited company contractors who completed the survey, only 18% believe that by working through an agency they would have a better chance of their client determining their IR35 status correctly. Worryingly for agencies, the remaining 82% of independent workers believe the potential for mistakes is greater when sourcing protects through recruiters.

When contractors were asked why they fear the prospect of an agency contributing to an IR35 determination, around one in two said that in involving recruiters, there are too many parties involved in the IR35 decision-making process. Most of the rest of independent professionals who feel this way reiterated the fact they do not believe recruiters will be prepared for IR35 changes. 

Of the contractors who have faith in agencies to help clients set IR35 status correctly, the majority said it is the recruitment industry’s reliance on temporary workers which will ensure this happens. The remaining contractors said the very fact that in most cases, recruiters, as fee-payers, will carry the IR35 liability, should encourage them to help end-clients make well-informed status decisions.

Half of contractors to down tools if blanket IR35 assessed

Add into the equation that contractors would much prefer not to be blanket assessed and the need for recruiters to help end-clients set IR35 status correctly becomes increasingly apparent. 

Upon the arrival of public sector changes, The NHS was one of several bodies that immediately placed all contractors inside IR35 as they looked to protect the liability they were handed. Reports say this led to a contractor walkout, as independent professionals left their roles, opting to work on projects where they could either set their own IR35 status or have it assessed fairly. 

Looking ahead to reform in the private sector, there have been whispers that a handful of companies will blanket assess their contractor workforce – incidentally a decision which is non-compliant.

Our study suggests this would backfire on the businesses that made blanket decisions. Around half of the contractors surveyed told us they would stop working on a particular project if they were placed inside IR35 automatically. One in four would raise their rates to take into account the extra cost of working inside IR35, while 20% would challenge the decision. Less than 5% would opt to work through an umbrella company.

So in conclusion, what do these statistics tell us and are recruiters ready for IR35 reform?? Above all else, you could say they show that for recruitment agencies to continue attracting contractors and, at the same time, protect their own liability when operating as the fee-payer, it is vital they prepare themselves for IR35 reform. 

Learn more about QAccounting’s range of IR35 services here.

More Blogs

Challenges in Public Sector Finance: Income and Spending Gap

In December 2023, the Office for National Statistics announced that, in the first two thirds of the year, the deficit in public sector spending had reached £116bn. This figure was £27bn higher than the same period in the previous year. But why is the gap between income and spending in public sector finance widening? What are the implications? How can these challenges be addressed? Read on to find out…

Accounting Team

The Future of Management Accounting

Gone are the days when management accounting simply involved bookkeeping and cost accounting. The business environment has become increasingly complex, and accounting firms and processes must evolve to keep up. But what is the future of management accounting? Read on for our top accounting trends – including the role of technology in accounting.

Accounting Team

Understanding the Financials: Accounting for Amazon Sellers

It’s estimated that over 60% of sales on come from third-party sellers rather than directly from the e-commerce giant itself. With such a large captive audience here in the UK, it’s unsurprising that local sellers want a slice of this oversized pie. One thing to bear in mind is the specific set of financial challenges that come with a decision to sell via this platform. If you’re looking to understand more about the ins and outs of accounting for Amazon sellers, read on…

Accounting Team