Childcare Vouchers

Childcare Vouchers if you are a Limited Company Director: How? Where? When?

Are you a Limited Company Director looking to save money on childcare by setting up Childcare vouchers?

How the Government Childcare Voucher Scheme works for you in 5 easy steps:

  1. Check your third party child care provider is registered with the OFSTED scheme.
  2. Set up scheme with HMRC/or through scheme administrator.
  3. Tell your Accountant so they can account for this accordingly.
  4. Make a decision between Salary Sacrifice or Business Expense processing of the childcare vouchers.
  5. Start saving money on childcare – happy days!

The Government Childcare Voucher Scheme provides exemptions on childcare or childcare vouchers provided by employers. If you are a Limited Company Director, hoping to save some money on Childcare, you must remember that you are both the employer and the employee.

If you have a child who is currently being cared for by a third party (Crèche/nursery/child minder etc), as a Limited Company director you need to register for the childcare voucher scheme through HMRC, or use a scheme provider who does the admin for you, and charges a commission rate – which you can then offset as a business expense.

How much do you save?

Once you are part of a childcare voucher scheme, the maximum value of childcare you can claim is £55 per week, or £243 per month.

This amount is allowable for both parents – this will be applicable to many of our Limited Company Directors who have a husband or wife as an employee. This amount has been set by HMRC, with the understanding that anything above this amount will be liable for Tax and National Insurance on the amount, anything below this limit is exempt from this.

You have two options on how to process this transaction. Either you process this through your employee payroll in the form of Salary Sacrifice, or you process this as an Employer Business expense– deducting this from profits. You should not do both. Measure up the costs involved for yourself and the company when making this decision.

What if my child care costs more than £55 per week?

If child care costs to a third party carer exceed £55 per week, or £243 per month, the ‘extra’ payment needs to be noted on a P11d expense form. If you are a QAccounting client and would like more information on how to treat your childcare vouchers or how to enrol on the childcare voucher scheme, your dedicated Account Manager, will be more than happy to help.

The Qualifying conditions:

  1. A child or stepchild of the employee at whose expense the child is maintained. Please note that as a Limited Company Director you are both the employee and the Employer. or
  2. A child who is living with the employee and for whom the employee has parental responsibility.
  • A child can qualify for this scheme up to the 1st of September after their 15th birthday (or 1st September after their 16th birthday if they are disabled).

Payments must be made to the childcare provider, from your Business Bank Account.

You can read a full article from HMRC about the Government Childcare Voucher Scheme here.

Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.

More Blogs

Benefits of hiring a limited company accountant

Running a limited company can be extremely rewarding – but also challenging. As well as the creation, marketing and sales of your products or services, there are many other elements to consider: logistics, customer service, payroll, HR and more. One area that many small businesses find particularly challenging is managing their accounts. From day-to-day bookkeeping to filing and paying taxes, it’s an area with a great deal of regulation – and one that’s vital to get right. While some choose to do this themselves, it can be stressful and time-consuming, with the added worry about what will happen if you get things wrong. Hiring a limited company accountant can take this stress away, and choosing online limited company accounting services can still make things easier.

Accounting Team

What is a CT41G form? A complete guide

The CT41G form—the “Corporation Tax—New Company Details” form—is a vital piece of paperwork for UK businesses. When a business registers with Companies House, it triggers a notification to HMRC, which sends a Form CT41G to the business’s registered offices. The purpose of the form is to provide HMRC with confirmation of the company’s existence and provide you with the relevant tax information.

Accounting Team

Crowdfunding my business: Do I need to pay tax?

Starting a business can be expensive. While some have money set aside to do so, others opt for bank loans to make their dream happen. However, there is another option, and that’s the crowdfunding approach. But do you pay tax on crowdfunding? Is crowdfunding tax deductible? We’ve put together this guide to answer all your questions.

Accounting Team