P11D Reporting Benefits In Kind and Non-Allowable Expenses

Author: George Ian Hope BAcc(Hons), MSc(IT), FCCA, CGA, CPA
Ian is a general practicing member of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants with fellowship
status (FCCA). He is also a member of the Certified General Accountants Association of Canada (CGA),
and a member of Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada (CPA).


P11D forms are required because HMRC recognise that employees and directors can be paid in many different ways, some of which may not have been taxed yet during the year.  As an example, if you are paid a salary or a bonus then this will normally be taxed at source via the PAYE system. Likewise, if you receive dividends then these will normally be taxed when you submit your Self-Assessment return. BUT, if you receive other “benefits in kind” from the business or expenses which are not allowable business expenses then these will not yet have been taxed. And the P11D form is therefore required to be submitted each year in these instances.  The deadline for paying the tax on benefits is always the 22nd July each year.

HMRC have provided detailed guidance surrounding P11Ds HERE.

You will need to submit a P11D form where:

  • HMRC ask for one – So if you have received written communications from HMRC to submit a P11D return you must let us know!
  • If you have previously submitted one
  • If you have received “benefits in kind” from the business or expenses which are not allowable business expenses

If either of the first two situations applies and you have not received any benefits for the current year, then you must either submit a “Nil” return, or make a declaration online that a return is not required. The declaration option is useful where you don’t plan to receive benefits in the future because it means you do not have to submit Nil returns each year (unless HMRC request a return).

We have provided guides on our website to explain where expenses are allowable business expenses:

As your Accountant we will submit P11D returns / declarations for clients on request and confirm the associated tax that is payable. Contact us for more information about the accounting services we provide.

More Posts

Basis Period Reform

The article helps self-employed sole traders and partnerships to understand how basis period reform will impact their business in the 2023/24 transitional tax year, and what steps need to be taken to ensure they do not lose any brought forward tax reliefs and remain compliant!

George Ian Hope

Tax Payment Dates and Estimating the Values of Tax Payable

The article outlines the typical tax payment dates and methods of estimating the values of tax payable for each type of tax, including VAT, PAYE, NIC, CIS, Corporation Tax, and Dividend and Personal Taxes.

George Ian Hope

Corporation Tax Rate Changes

In the March 2021 Budget Rishi Sunak proposed a number of changes to the way that Corporation Tax will be calculated and applied and these changes will come into effect from 1st April 2023.

George Ian Hope